His rise to the Oval Office is one of the most controversial in the history of the United States.
He defeated the well-heeled political machine of Senator Hillary Clinton for a defeat at the polls that was a nail biter to the end.
Trump has had success and failures, all are grist for the mill by the media who can’t wait to report his latest adventure.
With his strange hairstyle and frank wisecracks, Donald Trump has turned into one of the most amazing figures in the history of the U.S.
Real estate developer to casino owner, to reality TV star, Trump will no doubt be the center of attention of politics and commerce for a long time.
Here are 30 facts about President Donald Trump.
- His full name is Donald John Trump.
- Donald Trump is 73 years old, he was born on 14th June 1946 in New York City, New York.
- Trump has had three political affiliations. He was Independent from 2011-2012, Democratic from pre 1987 to 2009, Republican at present.
- He has been married three times. First to Ivana Zelnickova from 1977-1991, then to Marla Maples from 1993-1999, and Melania Knauss from 2005 to present.
- He is the second youngest of five children.
- Trump does not smoke nor drink. The death of a sibling, his older brother Red Jr., urged Donald toward these decisions.
- He is of German and Scottish ancestry.
- He had a famous uncle, John G. Trump, a professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology who had the distinction of being allowed by the FBI in 1943 to examine famed inventor Nikola Tesla‘s papers and equipment when Tesla passed away that year.
- Trump’s family fortune began when his grandfather Frederick Trump pulled in a fortune by operating restaurants and boarding houses in the boom towns of Seattle and Klondike, Canada.
- His family’s name was originally Drumpf or Drumpft but changed to Trump when the Thirty Years’ War occurred in the 1600s.
- He attended the New York Military Academy aka NYMA to whom he credits much of his success to.
- Trump attended Fordham University, Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania and graduated Wharton in 1968 with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics.
- Trump avoided being drafted into the military by getting four student deferments. After being determined twice to be fit for duty, he got a 1-Y medical deferment in October of 1968. Then in December 1969 he received a high placement number in the draft lottery that exempted him from service.
- His first real estate venture was with his family’s company, Elizabeth Trump and Son, where he was given control of in 1971 and renamed it The Trump Organization. The project ended up in controversy when the Justice Department in 1973 accused the company of discrimination against Blacks. Admitting no wrongdoing, an agreement between the company and DOJ was struck to resolve the issue.
- Donald Trump made his bones, or made his first really big real estate deal happened in Manhattan with the remodeling of the Grand Hyatt Hotel in 1978.
- His signature base of operations, Trump Tower, was completed in 1983.
- Trump has never filed for personal bankruptcy, but six times he’s filed for bankruptcy for his business properties between 1991 and 2009.
- Donald Trump owns and operates around 18 golf courses around the world.
- At one time, Trump was part owner of three major beauty pageants, from 1996-2015 he partly owned Miss Universe, Miss USA & Miss Teen USA.
- From 2005 until 2010, Trump owned and ran the Trump University LLC, where his courses covered real estate training.
- He once ran the Donald J. Trump Foundation established in 1988, but was shut down by the NY State Attorney General’s office in 2013 for multiple violations.
- Trump is also a member of the Screen Actors Guild – an organization that sees to the benefit and welfare of working actors in movies and television.
- Trump became an executive producer of the reality show hit, The Apprentice from 2003 until present. The show has been on hiatus due to his presidential run.
- Donald is a WWE, World Wrestling Entertainment fan.
- He has five children from three of his marriages. Three children from his first marriage to Ivana Trump, Donald Jr, Ivanka and. From Trump’s third wife, he has a daughter called Tiffany. His fifth child was born on 20th March 2006, a boy named Barron.
- Donald Trump has eight grandchildren.
- Donald Trump is of the Presbyterian faith – A Christian denomination noted for its use of committees of elders to govern the church.
- As of November 2016 his net worth is $3.7 billion.
- Donald Trump won the Republican nomination for President of the United States on 19th July 2016.
- He became the 45th President of the United States on 9th November 2016.